brltty input monitor error 19

Hello everyone,

A client of mine is having trouble with brltty sometimes heavily spamming the logs with "braille input monitor error 19: No such device", and I'm wondering what this could actually mean is the trouble.

Also, by spamming I mean like a lot, for the last week alone he's got more than 17 million lines matching that in syslog (~500k one day, 9.1M another, and 7.6M yesterday). When it happens, it spams insanely fast, I can count around 50k messages/second for about 5s at a time.

The client is running Buster (yeah I know), which is brltty 5.6.10+deb10u1 [1], not the most recent of all.

As a workaround, I currently set "log-level critical" to try and not get these errors in the logs, as their rate managed to fill /var/log [2]; and because the client didn't seem to actually have issues with brltty.

Does anybody here have clues on:
* why does it happen? Is something *actually* wrong, just going unnoticed by the user? * was it a bug that has been fixed in newer releases? I know there is 6.3 in the backports, but I'm slightly reluctant to update the client just yet unless I can reasonably hope it actually fixes something.

Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to reading you :)
Colomban

[1]: to be entirely honest, it's a custom build from before +deb10u1 got released, but it has the exact same patch from Samuel, and diffing the sources show no difference apart from the changelog entry [2]: which is another issue that it can actually happen, but unrelated to brltty