Re: How to Install Basic Debian CLI System with Networking and screen reader

That's what I do, I read the documents.

But it's unclear which selection is without the DE (Desktop Environment).

So much depends on advanced knowledge when reading these documents. This should not be necessary for a person coming to Debian to install the most simplest system of all: A Command Line Interface system.

In the installer, hints of what should be installed should be given.

Most new people wouldn't even know what DE means.

I don't know and you have not told me, if you know that the default selections in the installer install a Graphic User Interface. It's marked "Debian Desktop Environment" and it's the same as selecting "Mate".

Years ago there was a text mode Desktop Environment that gave a menu and configuration options for a strictly text mode installation.

Many people think that's what they're selecting when they choose Debian Desktop Environment but it's no longer that.

If people don't mention these things, how will developers ever know how and what to change?

I could make snarky comments to you about subjects you're not an expert in, but I won't do that. Professionals usually have a helpful attitude and I expect to be treated that way and I demand that I treat others that way.

Regards,

David

On Mon, May 29, 2023, 02:57 john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
On 5/29/23 04:33, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> I've had it work that way Martin,  but it's not working for Glenn.
>
> I also don't understand what you mean by "I start the installer with medium
> priority" - I've never seen a choice.

It's there in the advance mode, mind the accessibility wiki!

> It should be an explicit choice to have a configured Debian Command Line
> Interface (CLI) Text Mode.
At the prompt that ask for what package to install, select the one
without DE.

Instead of ranting/complaining, I would suggest you to read the
extensive Debian's doc.

--
John Doe