OT, Ubuntu Sound Trouble

Hi Group,
I have a desktop with Ubuntu 18.something, and I don't want to upgrade the
dist because a newer Python will break my Chirp program that I use for
programming my radios.
But it boots, and I can SSH into it, but I get no audio.
I test it several ways,
aplay file-name
speaker-test
espeak test
I tried:
amixer sset Master 100% unmute
and
amixer sset Headphone 100% unmute
and no errors, but still no audio.
It boots up to the desktop, and I tried to manually run orca, but it must
already be running.
This is a 64 bit desktop with 8 GB of RAM.
It has two headphone jacks, and I'm testing both of them, in case the audio
decided to switch outputs, which it has done before.
Does anyone have any other ideas I can try?
Alsamix is not too screenreader friendly via ssh.
I don't know if I installed something recently that did this, like maybe a
ham radio program.

Thanks.

Glenn