Re: DisabilityXTech fund launch

Although $1M doesn't go as far as it used to, this is very good news.  Congratulations and good luck in acquiring more funding as things progress!

As long as I'm writing, I'd like to mention a possible a11y-related project.  As many folks on this list may be aware, Microsoft Soundscape (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/soundscape/) is being open sourced:

> This open source project is a subset of 'Microsoft Soundscape' product as released on the Apple App Store. To make this contribution to open source, it was necessary to remove 3rd party sources and some other proprietary code. Further Microsoft branding, reference to specific Microsoft services, and deployment mechanisms have been removed.

-- https://github.com/microsoft/soundscape

FYI, here is the announcement page:

Microsoft Soundscape – New Horizons with a Community-Driven Approach
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/blog/microsoft-soundscape-new-horizons-with-a-community-driven-approach/

Aside from making Soundscape open source, they are removing the support infrastructure (e.g., servers, staffing).  A blind friend tells me that Soundscape has become an extremely valuable Orientation and Mobility tool for her, so she is _quite_ upset that it may be going away.

So, I've been wondering whether it might be possible for someone to adopt and support this project.  For example, it might be a good fit for the Overture Maps Foundation (https://overturemaps.org).  Just saying...

-r