Re: [orca] Re: Braille navigation issues with Orca 44.1

Sébastien Hinderer, le lun. 04 sept. 2023 21:16:47 +0200, a ecrit:
> Samuel Thibault (2023/09/04 21:01 +0200):
> > So the behavior you expect is not actually implemented by Orca, it's the
> > a2 screen driver that takes precedence in the text fields
>
> Well I am unsure about what you mean by text field here because, for the
> little of GUI I am using (Firefox essentially), I have observed this
> behaviour or not being able to use braille window navigation and routing
> keys in a very constant way. Is any place in a web page really a
> text-filed?

Yes. Or more precisely: they all expose a text interface, even if they
don't have a text role. Since apparently orca doesn't capture routing
key events, these events fall back to being exposed to the a2 driver,
which gives it to brltty, which uses a2 to read the widget content, and
perform the cursor routing.

> Also, if the a2 screen driver "just" takes precedence, shouldn't things
> still work when it's not there?

If Orca was capturing routing key events, yes. It appears that doesn't
happen.

In the test I made with Roberto's case, it really was brltty's way of
pressing arrows to simulate routing, that Orca doesn't implement anyway.

> > knows it brings better support in that case (the cursor routing you get
> > is achieved by the brltty core itself, not the a2 driver which is only
> > the "messenger").
>
> But that is not what is supposed to happen when you click (use cursor
> routing keys) on links in Firefox, right?

Ah, that part seems odd however, indeed.

But again, which version of brltty are you using?

> > So it's not really Orca that "depends" on brltty-x11, it's just that
> > brltty-x11 is an interesting complement to Orca, to improve screen
> > reading.
>
> I don't think it's fair to put things this way frankly. Currently, you
> simply can't read the screen in braille without brltty-x11...

If that is so, it's a bug that needs a fix in Orca, and not just make
people install brltty-x11 as a workaround that we don't even understand
how it happens to work.