Re: Are Their Any Live Kernel Patches in Debian?

On Wed, 2023-02-15 at 10:07 -0800, Chime Hart wrote:

> Hi All: A friend of mine who seems to love-and-follow Ubuntu asks me if Debian
> has any live kernel patches, where you wouldn't need to boot the system? I am
> in Debian SID-and-would `absolutely love an option such as that. Thanks so much
> in advance

As I understand it, the Linux kernel live patches aren't possible to
just produce automatically, it requires a team with enough Linux kernel
knowledge to make it work. Debian doesn't have a team doing that yet.

I don't think that Linux kernel live patches are very suitable for
Debian unstable/sid because the major version of Linux in sid changes
fairly often, although there are stable updates in sid, but those are
fairly frequent. So the service would mostly be for stable/oldstable.

Probably the best people in Debian to do that are the LTS team,
who provide support for old Debian releases, including for Linux,
the LTS team are paid by external sponsors, so they might have the
financial resources needed to make this a reality for Debian.
Please contact them about this service idea.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/

Also, I think that the base Linux kpatch tools are open source, but the
infrastructure that RedHat/SUSE/Canonical use to provide them are not.
However, I think the Gentoo folks do have some open infra code.

https://github.com/dynup/kpatch
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elivepatch
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Live_patching
https://github.com/gentoo/elivepatch-server