Re: installing Debian From Working Debian

> On Dec 1, 2022, at 4:35 AM, Christian Schoepplein <chris@schoeppi.net> wrote:
>
> On 12/1/22 03:19, K0LNY_Glenn wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there is a way to install a clean install of Debian x86,
>> same bullseye version that is on the machine, to an external drive, so I can boot to it?
>
> You can use debootstrap to install Debian from another Debian or other already installed Linux system. This process is documented many times on the web, just google for "debootstrap install debian" or similar.

I wrote a build script that uses mmdebstrap to generate multiple images with my preferences of environment with ssh pubkeys baked in. It generates images for netbooting, specific linode vps images with btrfs root filesystem, and  a speakup enabled  virtual machine image for use with vmware, also with btrfs root filesystem, for multiple distros and multiple architectures. I've intended to publish it but haven't cleaned it up enough for that yet.

I highly recommend mmdebstrap in place of debootstrap which I have had trouble with in the past in failing to resolve dependancies.

Since this is getting off topic for this list, feel free to contact me directly to discuss.

HTH,
--FC