Re: Videocall hearing the voice of Orca

On 9/7/22 04:45, john doe wrote:

How can I ensure that I'm the only one that will hear Orca [while videocalling] and prevent other persons in the call from hearing it?

In my experience, the best way is to purchase a USB conference phone device with hardware audio cancellation and use that to play both the audio from the call and the audio from Orca. The couple that I have used have cost between $50 and $100. You'll probably need to be using Pulseaudio or Pipewire to mix the audio streams.

This won't completely prevent other users in the call from hearing anything, but for the most part the audio from Orca should be low enough that they'll be able to hear a slight buzz but not what it is saying.

You can also set up Pulseaudio to do echo cancellation (I generally use the webrtc  method), but I've had very mixed results with that. Sometimes it works great, other times not at all - mostly depending on what hardware I'm using. It's also somewhat more complex to set up than just plugging in a USB speaker phone.

-Aaron