new computer status

First I purged cinnamon.  That took a while but now espeakup works without
plymouth.  Next with sighted assistance from two people I got the boot
order straightened out with usb and dvd included on it before the nvme
real estate.  I found alsa has several problems working with mplayer vlc
mpv and audacious.  It appears audacious may only work with pulseaudio
which also had so many problems on the machine I purged pulseaudio.
Sockets cannot be created when I try having media players stream web
sites.  I'm thinking it may be time to clean the disk and do a correct
installation from the get go rather than discover the rest of alsa's
problems.