Re: Skipping disk erase on Debian text-based installation (fwd)

Hi Nick,

Nick Gawronski <nick@nickgawronski.com> wrote (Sun, 1 May 2022 17:19:48 -0500):
> Hi, I am totally blind and use the s option at boot to start the
> installer with speech output.  If I wish to add this kernel command line
> option yet still run the installation using software speech output would
> pressing s then tab and then entering in the command line switches then
> pressing enter work as control and c does not do the canceling operation
> like it should and I had to wait until the entire disk was wiped?

yes, typing in the commandline switch should work as you described.
But be aware, that the installer uses a qwerty (english) keyboard layout
in that stage. That might be tricky, if you use another layout usually
(especially because you need to type some special symbols as well, not only
alphabetical characters).

And I have tested it, it works as described, the full disk wipe is skipped
automatically then.

Another comment:
Nick is right, if you perform an install with speech output, there is no
interactive possibility to cancel the full disk wipe action in the text
frontend used for speech!
In the newt frontend or graphical installer there is the Cancel button,
but not in the text frontend, sadly.

Regards
Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076