Re: web-based, distributed, accessible applications (was LibreFaso)

> On Mar 6, 2022, at 22:34, john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
>
> It is harder but if you want to work with sited co-workers you need to work with identation.

Point taken.  Some languages, such as Go, actually enforce consistent indentation.  Elixir has a formatter, but use of it is optional (unless you're trying to submit patches to a code base that requires it).

That said, indentation isn't the only issue that needs to be addressed when working with others.  For example, as a technical editor and writer, I'm bothered by errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, word choice, and even non-idiomatic usage.  Although they don't break the code, they impede my attempts to read (and thus work with) it.

Visually disabled programmers have an uphill climb on some of these issues, because of screen readers and such, but any programmer may have trouble getting things "correct".  FWIW, I have a couple of T-shirts that comment on this.  One says:

> Im a programar
> Iam a programer
> I'm a programor
> I write code

The other says:

> Document my code?
> Why do you think they call it "code"?

> The advantage that I see in Python or alike languages, is that
> indentation is required and thus makes your code "working" and visually
> appealing at the same time! :)
> Or the code needs to be automatically prettyfied before committing to a CVS.

Or uglified, depending on your preferences.  Some Elixir programmers (myself included) avoid using the formatter, because it destroys my carefully lined up attempts to highlight parallel constructions.  Of course, if I were working with a blind partner, I might have to retrofit these to their code before checking it in to my project(s).

> adhering to conservative standards (PEP8, POSIX ... (splitting lines
> in smaller chunks, 80 chars max, use of whitespace)) takes more time to
> learn but makes the code more accessible for everyone.

I agree.  Fortunately, I tend to work on my own independent projects these days, so I don't have to contend as much with those sorts of issues.

- Rich Morin