Re: changing the scheduling and niceness of espeakup and related processes

Hello,

Frank Carmickle, le jeu. 10 févr. 2022 14:44:06 -0500, a ecrit:
> > On Feb 10, 2022, at 12:36 PM, Nick Gawronski <nick@nickgawronski.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I am often doing testing of software like Android building and find that speech will stop during one of the processor heavy building processes.  What I would like to be able to do is to change espeakup and other processes so they run with the highest niceness
>
> Are you experiencing choppy speech or does speech just pause for a time?
>
> I use the following in rc.local. You could build a systemd unit for it, if you'd like.

Good idea. I have submitted it to
https://github.com/linux-speakup/espeakup/pull/46 and added to the
debian package. It's a matter of adding

Nice=-10

in the [Service] section of /lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service

> I'm going to go read the bug reports to see if this is already being tracked. If not, I will open a bug.

I don't remember any. It's commited already anyway, so no need any more
for a bug report, thanks :)

> Yes I could always tell the building process to not use as many jobs but this slows down the building process.

You can also do the converse:

nice -20 make -j 40

to make the build nicer to the rest of the system.

But yes, better make espeakup prioritized, thanks for raising the issue!