Re: firmware-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso Install

I'll try that but I'm so tired of installing and reinstating Debian 11 that I went to bed.

Broken Screen Review

I understand that the screen review using <Shift+PgUp> and <Shift+PgDown> has been broken for years, but it still appears in the on screen documentation of Debian Accessible Text installer UNLESS something else isn't working.

Is anyone else having these problems?

I know there are others who have had the problem of using firmware-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso Installer and ending up with a system that is unusable.

Work Around for MATE user login.

I've found a work around,  I don't know how to do this with ORCA  but with eyesight, on the login screen, over at the top right, there is a selector for which desktop environment you want.

With only one Desktop environment installed, MATE, there are still TWO choices.

Default and Mate.

The normal selection automatically is "default" but this has to be changed manually to "Mate" or every time you log in, MATE (or something else) crashes putting you back to the opening screen where you log in.

Change it to Mate instead of Default and you can log in, and it will keep this setting when you reboot.

Inaccessible Text Installer in Debian 11

The Text Installer in Debian 10.10 (last version of Buster) worked flawlessly but the Text Installer with screen reader in Debian 11 with computers with more than one sound card is inaccessible installer remains a big problem and on reboot all consoles are without screen reader except the one that will boot into MATE.

Also a great addition would be to have a question during text installation "do you want to use text log in, or a desktop manager?

Logging in with text then when needed (if ever) starting MATE really takes CPU and memory resources  off your computer.

As many of us know doing email with text mode alpine or mutt is probably ten to  twenty times faster than using Firefox inside MATE. Using surfraw and w3m or Lynx in mutt allows sighted users to have the best of lightweight quickness and ability to see html email with graphic pictures in framebuffer in virtual console without MATE running. These are the best reasons NOT to use startx to start MATE.

I believe the commands as root will still stop Debian from automatically starting the Desktop Manager which for Mate is "lightdm":

As root:

systemctl disable lightdm
systemctl stop lightdm

If I remember correctly, it has to be done in that order to prevent respawning of the lightdm desktop manager.

Log in with text. Then do your email, web browsing, newsgroup reading and other text mode programs including emacspeak, then just "startx" if you need to use a graphic program inside MATE.

Very fast and very useful.

Best wishes,

David