Re: Iggdrasil, a new amazing screenreader

John,

You say in Mate we have other methods of configuring it.  I'm talking about configuring it in console, even if MATE is installed.

What is that way of configuring, you don't mean starting up MATE which is what I wanted to avoid.

It's like starting up a major load on the computer (MATE) just to be able to turn the Internet on.

Also if that is the only way, it brings up the difficulty in accessing the MATE Network settings using the mouse. I dislike playing "Pin the Mouse Tail on the Icon" game.  It's frustrating.

Regards,
David

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:27 AM john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
On 12/31/2021 4:12 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> The network-manager package should be installed by default to ANY
> installation of Debian perhaps even along with the basic system prior to
> software selection - so that using the undocumented "!" software selection
> (it should be documented right in the installer itself to produce a working
> command line networking system!

In headless, there is no need to use nmcli to configure the network,
'systemd-network' '/etc/network/interfaces' are some possibilities.

The utility is generaly pulled as an dependency.

> But your saying that even with network-manager package installed, it has to
> be configured to run! Not very accessible. Installation should install the
> package and at least ask the user if he wants it started, or better yet,
> start it and have it ready for use with the commands given to disable or
> stop it.

This is already the case, nmcli is an dependency of Gnnome/ for example.
For Mate, it makes less sense as you have other means to configure it.

--
John Doe