Re: bookworm for accessibility

On 3/16/2020 9:16 PM, john doe wrote:
> On 3/16/2020 8:52 PM, Paul Gevers wrote:
>> Hi hjenkins,
>>
>> On 16-03-2020 19:53, hjenkins wrote:
>>> Packaging the Bookworm e-reader could significantly improve the
>>> accessibility of Debian. Bookworm is written by blind developers,
>>> according to its website.
>>
>> Thanks for letting us know about this piece of software. Are you aware
>> of ebook-speaker, already packaged in Debian. Also that has been written
>> by a blind developer.
>>
>> That said, for this bug: if anybody is interested to do the initial
>> work, I think the accessibility team welcomes the package under the team
>> umbrella.
>>

> According to (1), it is only for Windows.
>
> "• Make sure you are running Windows 7 or later, and you've installed
> Python 3.7 or a later version:"
>
> 1)  https://github.com/mush42/bookworm/

Quoting the dev ('El Musharraf Omerof') from the above bookworm:

"Bookworm is primarily written in Python, with some Windows-specific
integration modules in C#. It uses WxPython for its graphical user
interface, and some python packages (installable from PyPi) for the
core functionality.

Unfortunately, Bookworm is not readily portable to platforms other
than Windows, since it depends on some system-specific APIs, specially
in the area of screen reader integration and TTS. Nevertheless, the
core of Bookworm is inherently cross-platform, and porting to Debian
will not be a huge undertake, I guess. If someone is interested, we
can discuss this via a GitHub issue
(https://github.com/mush42/bookworm/)."

--
John Doe