Re: Some small linux device

On 7/7/20, Vojtěch šmiro <vsmiro@seznam.cz> wrote:

> is some way to buy some small linux device? In hot days I cannot use my
> laptop or desktop, because fans are rotating and in my room is really
> hot then. Please, what devices do you know and what can I buy? I know
> raspberrypy or I've heard about Pinebook. I want some linux device, what
> has passive cooling.

Are you asking because of the noise? I was going to suggest that you
could buy a "cooling pad" for your laptop, but most of those most
likely make at least some barely audible noise.

Well, I reread again. If the fan issue is "just" about the heat output
and not the noise, maybe the cooling pad is possibly the best related
accessory that might help. They're just not very cheap these days
considering how "flimsy" most of them are. It MIGHT be a temporary fix
while you search for whatever else might be fun to play with instead.

Lifting a laptop off the desktop or other surface helps "a little".
NOT recommending the following, but I have a large Oster dog comb
shoved under the front of mine this very second. I've used knitting
needles and a "Tunisian" (extra long) crochet hook in the same way.

There are a few products out there like that now. There are items like
wire basket type things you place the laptop on or little feet that go
under the four corners. Something like the wire basket'ish thing might
help by "pulling" the heat away, too, via the contact made.

My experience is that a cooling pad with operating fans is about the
most effective way to go, WHEN those fans work.

Just thinking out loud because I have full empathy. Good luck!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *