Re: Re: Future of Accessibility in Debian

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 11:10:53
> From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe <mengualjeanphi@free.fr>
> To: debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Re: Future of Accessibility in Debian
>
> Hi Devin,
>
> Sorry for advertisment in advance, but:
>
> > I would definitely recommend the Mac. You?ll still be able to run
> free software, in an environment like > Unix. Optionally, if you use the
> command line, check out https://github.com/tspivey/tdsr
> <https://github.com/tspivey/tdsr>
>
> Hypra machines do this too. And will always do.
>
> > It isn?t as powerful as Fenrir or Speak, but it gets the job done
> well. Also, the graphical utilities that come with the Mac, Safari, Mail,
> text-edit, are great also. There is spell checking, autocorrect, text
> replacement, and AppleScripting and Automation, all configurable, throughout
> the system, not just in > your word processor, all accessible with VoiceOver.
>
> Hypra has Firefox, Thunderbird, pluma, Libreoffice, accessible all right. And
> all the Debian catalog.
>

> > Of course, there are current bugs. In Safari, you hear ?insertion
> point at (nil)? at the end of every paragraph unless you use the arrow keys,
> and not VoiceOver navigation, to read. These bugs are usually fixed within the
> year of a version release, and the releases are often much better than the
> public beta versions.
>
> > I seriously hope that Linux stays accessible, because I?d hate to see
> free software let us down so majorly. But, volunteers are not held to a
> standard of accessibility, so I will not be shocked if all we have left in
> Linux is the command line.
>
> What I mean here is not doiing free advertisment, but making you aware of
> this: buy Mac, pay about 1000 euros or much more, learn yourself, hope there
> are not regressions, use only Apple compatible accesories, try reporting but
> Apple does not listen always (said one of their community leader). Buy Hypra
> about 2000 euros, get an out-of-the-box accessible Debian, a warranty it will
> stay accessible through updates, free updates, persons you can talk to, in
> order to request for things and getting support and training, fund the free
> software dev to avoid such dark future as described on the thread. You can
> connect most accessories (even Apple ones despite many complexities).
> In other words, if you use free software, why changing it for Mac whereas you
> can pay nearly the same for a full Linux accessible, warranty and with human
> support? So far there were few warranties, hence people going to typical
> computers, now there is, so free software supporters should pay to fund this
> effort instead of paying for Apple, whose effort is not the same after Jobs'
> death.
>
> Regards

The problem with mac for most accessibility users is that our demographics
rarely include large enough bank accounts to support the Apple hardware
obsolescence cycle.  I once got by means of a donation the most expensive
computer Apple ever produced up to 2012 and that cost the original owner
$10,000.00.  The operating system could not be upgraded due to the Apple
obsolescence cycle and in these days with all of the cyber attacks that's
serious since once hackers find your system they can either exploit it and
your identity and bank account or practice on it to learn how to take down
other apple operating systems.  I got another surprise with the first mac
mini I bought too.  I bought that mac mini when Apple came out with newer
hardware for that line.  Unfortunately the sales lady failed to tell me I
would be getting the obsolete hardware and charged me full price for that
too.  No discount.  So I was able to upgrade to Leopard but couldn't
upgrade to Lion and in the hands of an Apple certified technician my
machine got struck by lightning.  >