Re: Sv: Re: grub

Well,

I assume that Jude answered privately as I didn't see his message
in the list.

This being said:

@ Mattias: it doesn't hurt to be polite, let alone kind with people
trying to help you, even if you think that they misunderstood your
question. (written before Samuel just posted something similar)

@ Jude: this setting in grub.cfg:
GRUB_INIT_TUNE= <some tune>
just tells Grub to play this tune when it's ready to receive commands
from the user, not when a specific menu entry is focused.

Now to answer Mattias' question:

1. As far as I know it is not currently possible to set up grub to play
a tune when a menu entry is focused, only when you press Enter on a menu
entry, which is not what you want.

2. A way to overcome this limitation is to include each menu entry in
a sub-menu in grub.cfg. Then you can set a different tune for each sub-
menu (like one for Windows and one for Debian). So if you press Enter
the tune you will hear will tell you in which sub-menu you are. Then:
_if this is the one you want, just press Enter once more to actually
boot the first entry of the sub-menu.
_else press Esc to go back to the main menu.

I have done something similar in EFI3M:
https://github.com/DidierSpaier/EFI3M
However it only works in EFI mode.

It should be doable to write a script that post-processes grub.cfg
every time it is rebuilt by grub-mkconfig or update-grub (which is
just a shortcut for "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" and possibly
back up the previous one), this is in my TODO list for Slint and I will
make it available for other distributions using GRUB

3. Meanwhile, you can use grub-emu to display the Grub boot menu in a
console or in an accessible graphical terminal:
_ install grub-emu is not yet done
_ type as root or using sudo: grub-emu
This will display the menu of grub as currently set up in an accessible
fashion. You can navigate as if you were in the "real" grub menu to
check the labels of the menu entries and their order, so you will know
how many "down arrow" key presses you will need to reach a specific boot
entry.

Best regards,

Didier