Re: Text installer irritation

On 10/29/19, Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> dhoffjr@att.net, le mar. 22 oct. 2019 10:29:54 -0700, a ecrit:
>> At the prompt to enter your Wifi server password, if you enter an
>> incorrect password and try to correct it with the backspace key, it always
>> results in an error.
>
> I am not able to reproduce this issue. I tried both the textual
> installer and the speech-enabled installer, in both cases even if I set
> a bogus password, I can enter a new password.
>
> One thing that you might have missed is that when the installer realizes
> that the password doesn't work, it does not prompt for the password, but
> it first asks for typing the ESSID, then the password. Perhaps you are
> trying to enter the password at the ESSID prompt?

He said something about using "backspace". Is there any chance that
it's also maybe either kicking things backward one screen or at least
backward into a different text field?

It comes to mind to ask that because I've had both instances very
annoyingly occur myself. Sometimes a backspace action never leaves the
current text field (yay!). BUT sometimes it causes a browser to revert
to the last previous webpage visited on the same tab, and sometimes it
moves the cursor to the last previously accessed text field.

If we're talking about an installer that has the very barest minimum
of anything in operation due to the very nature of its job, that might
up the chance of those kinds of things happening, too. Not a whole lot
of sweat-and-tear-stained programming is in place yet to better
prevent those kinds of effects.

Rereading what I just wrote is causing me to think I've even had
backspace repeatedly jump ship over to a completely different tab *in
web browsers*.

Also speaking FIRSTHAND while considering what might cause any of
those to happen: Sometimes a sticky CTRL or ALT key will mangle things
up when a glitch is occurring for one user while no one else can
reproduce the same issue.

Speaking firsthand... *grin*

PS An example of minimal programs in play that comes to mind that is
about booting up instead of installing is that unbelievably fast key
repeat rate that's out there. I think I mentioned it as a potential
cognitive or mobility related accessibility point on here quite a
while back, even. Man, that nails me ALL THE TIME when I'm having any
kind of boot up issues. Switching over to a one finger hunt-and-peck
typing style mitigates that one, LOL!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey