Re: Fwd: installing speakup (etc) in a VirtualBox VM

Hello,

On 26/10/2019 16:30, Rich Morin wrote:

I'd like to follow up with a request for help in documenting the kinds of
major dependencies that exist among the a11y-related packages (eg, brltty,
emacspeak, espeak-ng, espeak-ng-data, espeakup, fenrir, mbrola-*, orca,
speech-dispatcher).

I'd love to have this information collected in one place and suspect that
others might also find it useful.  I'd be happy to write this up nicely,
if someone can give (or point me to) the raw data.

The dependencies are distribution-specific because distributions do not
package software the same way. As an example, in Ubuntu Orca optionally
depends on a package named xbrlapi, which gathers the brltty API files,
but this package does not exist in Slint because we ship all brltty
files in a single brltty package. As it seems that you intend to base
your work on Ubuntu, to get started you could look at the dependencies
documented in the Ubuntu package browser.

For instance for Orca (in the disco version), see:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/orca

Indeed if you prefer Debian you'd look for buster at:

https://packages.debian.org/buster/orca

In this case the lists are similar if not identical, because most if not
all Ubuntu a11y packages actually come from Debian.

Best,

Didier