Re: Can grub be made to talk?

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019, at 1:06 PM, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	I absolutely hate what I call "press and pray" in which
> the silent world prevails and you count button presses in the
> silence and hope and pray that nothing weird happens.
>
> 	Failing speech, I know grub can be configured to work
> through a serial port if one exists at the time grub is needed.

I remember a long time ago when I used Open Suse, they had this thing where you could press f9 and it would play speech through the pc speaker of the items in the boot menu. It would probably be possible to have a script that created small wav files based on grub boot menu items using espeak-ng. This would likely be a good start and much easier than getting actual sound devices working. Modern sound cards require many complex things like pin configuration before anything works. The kernel has files with many individual hardware devices and their pin configs to make sure this all works properly. I would imagine that initializing a modern sound card would be a difficult project to get working in grub.