Debian Buster and wifi

I installed Debian `10 Buster 32 bit to an older desktop which has no
wifi card so I use a USB wifi adapter from ThinkPenguin.com. The
specifications state it is compatible with Debian 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 and
many other distros.  It installed flawlessly using the netinstall iso
and that USB wifi adapter.

But after installation, I cannot connect to the internet through the
Mate desktop wifi options.  Unfortunately, I do not know what a lot of
those options should be set to.

I was able one time only to connect within the console using Ip Link,
Wpa_supplicant and dhclient commands which I have always used with
earlier versions of Debian. The second time I tried it failed on the
dhclient command.  I imagine network-manager is interfering.  Not sure
why I was able to connect the first time.

Is it possible to totally remove network-manager and any other wifi
applications so that I can connect manually rather than automatically?

--
 <dhoffjr@att.net>