Accessibility of gtk2 applications in Buster

H.
Hi.  I just went through a rather rocky upgrade of my laptop from
stretch to buster.

I use Orca for speech.

The biggest problem I have right now is that gtk2 applications no longer
seem to talk.
This is unfortunate because Pidgin was by far the most accessible GUI
chat client.  Surprisingly enough, I find that GUI chat clients work
better than say finch or something that is going to produce text-mode
windows.

I've tested both Gimp and Pidgin as typical gtk2 applications and Orca
doesn't see them as accessible at all.

Is it expected that gtk2 will no longer talk, or is this a bug?
If so, is it likely to be a local configuration error or  something
upstream.
Are there details I can provide to help?