Re: getting orca and espeakup/speakup to work together

I can't speak for the Debian Testing version of Firefox, but the
versions in Debian Unstable only suggest pulseaudio, and I've found a
reliable means of getting Firefox 60+ to produce sound with apulse.

Install apulse and patchelf then

cd /usr/lib/firefox/

or

cd /usr/lib/firefox-esr/

and run(might be word wrapped, it its one line):

sudo patchelf --set-rpath /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/apulse/ libxul.so

You will probably need to adjust the i386 part of the path if your
running 64-bit x86 or non-x86 versions of Debian.

Can't speak for it fixing compatibility between Orca and espeakup
since I don't use espeakup, but it allowed me to upgrade to Firefox
newer than ESR 52 while keeping sound in the browser without having to
install PulseAudio, and the only conflict I've run into with Orca and
SBL is that Orca will speak over SBL even when I'm not in the
terminal, but that only happens when say I switch to the terminal
while Firefox is loading pages or while Orca/Firefox are trying to
catch up with keystrokes.

Can't gaurantee there aren't other problems with not having
PulseAudio, but this resolved the only issue I've ever had to suggest
there might be value in installing PulseAudio.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
Bachelor of Computer Science
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.