Re: newbie questions

Le 10/06/2017 à 03:00, Nicolas Graner a écrit :
Hello all,

I just joined this list because I am considering switching to Debian as
my main OS (currently running Windows and cygwin). Being visually
impaired, I need both full screen magnification and speech output in
French and English.

I have two questions at the moment:

1) are there good quality French voices available for free or not too
expensive? Which screen readers can use them?

There are multiple choice :
* Mbrola
* Pico
* Kali TTS : see the demo page here : http://www.crisco.unicaen.fr/Demonstration-de-Kali.html (it's a paid voice sells for Linux by Hypra.fr)

2) how much RAM would you recommend to run GNOME and Orca comfortably on
a laptop? My vendor says 3 GB is plenty, can you confirm this?

It's depend on what you want to do with your computer. For a regular user 3 Gb of RAM is sufficient.

If you want to use a correct screen magnifier you couldn't use GNOME3 (gnome-shell). You should use Mate with Compiz from Hypra repository (for Jessie at this time).

Compiz provides those features :
* Screen magnifier with focus tracking and important choice of settings
* Screen inversion with negative module or color filter for more advanced color management
* Possibility to have a cross-hair around the mouse
* and so on :) !

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD