sphinx* packages

Hi,

I am working on providing new upstream releases in Debian of sphinxbase
and sphinxtrain. However, the upstream version looks weird to me, and I
wonder if it is smart to just take it over. I won't like it if the next
upstream version requires us to add an epoch.

Current versions:
sphinxbase	0.8+5prealpha
sphinxtrain	1.0.8+5prealpha

New versions:
both		5prealpha

Luckily, 5prealpha sorts below 5.0 Debian version wise, but not below 5
(without a decimal point).

paul@testavoira ~ $ dpkg --compare-versions 5prealpha lt 5 && echo 1
paul@testavoira ~ $ dpkg --compare-versions 5prealpha lt 5. && echo 1
1
paul@testavoira ~ $ dpkg --compare-versions 5prealpha lt 5.0 && echo 1
1

I could mangle the upstream version to 5~prealpha, but I don't think it
is worth it, and also I am not sure if that is what upstream intended
(jumping from 0.8/1.0 to 5).

Does anybody have advise and/or an opinion on this?

Paul