Re: OCR

Hello,

There is already such a tool in Debian: eBook-speaker.

eBook-speaker can read many text-formats and use tesseract for OCR and is
available in seven languages.

eBook-speaker can read:

       AportisDoc (.pdb) (.prc)
       ASCII mail text
       ASCII text (.txt)
       awk script text
       BBeB_ebook_data (.lrf)
       Bourne-Again shell script text
       Broadband eBooks (BBeB) (.lrf) (.lrx)
       C source text
       Composite Document File (Microsoft Office Word) (.doc) (.xls)
       DAISY3 DTBook
       EPUB ebook data (.epub)
       GIF image data (.gif)
       GNU gettext message catalogue
       GutenPalm zTXT
       HTML document (.html)
       ISO-8859 text (.txt)
       JPEG image data (.jpg)
       Microsoft Office Document
       Microsoft Reader eBook Data (.lit)
       Microsoft Windows HtmlHelp Data (.chm)
       Microsoft Word Document
       Microsoft Word 2007+ (.docx)
       Mobipocket E-book (.prc) (.mobi)
       MS Windows HtmlHelp Data (.chm)
       Netpbm PPM data (.ppm)
       OpenDocument Text (.odt)
       Pascal source
       PDF document (.pdf)
       PeanutPress PalmOS (.pdb)
       Perl script text
       Plucker PalmOS document (.pdb)
       PNG image data (.png)
       POSIX shell script text
       PostScript document (.ps)
       Python script
       Rich Text Format (.rtf)
       Tenex C shell script text
       troff or preprocessor text (e.g. Linux man-pages)
       UTF-8 Unicode mail text
       UTF-8 Unicode text
       WordPerfect (.wp)
       XML document text (.xml)

For example: I put a letter onto my scanner and give:

   eBook-speaker -s

The letter will be scanned and after a moment it will be spoken using
espeak.

Please give it a try.

   Regards,

      Jos.