Re: you really do not want to upgrade to alsa-lib 1.1.2 (fwd)

On 9 August 2016 at 16:35, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:

--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 06:58:20
From: Chris Brannon <chris@the-brannons.com>
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux. <speakup@linux-speakup.org>
Subject: Re: you really do not want to upgrade to alsa-lib 1.1.2

Kyle <kyle4jesus@gmail.com> writes:

I was ready to release TalkingArch this month, just a little
late. Looks like I may need to hold off until next month. Is this a
mostly correct assessment, or is my build from Saturday OK to continue
the testing and sign-off process? Thanks for the heads-up.

I don't know which package your Saturday build contains.
When did 1.1.2 hit [extra]?  It was probably sometime close to then.
If you've got alsa-lib 1.1.1 or older, you should be good to go.

So I've spent the best part of 3 hours tonight looking at the espeak
source.  I'm reasonably convinced there's a race condition in the audio
output code, even though it looks like plenty of care was taken to
guarantee that this couldn't happen.  Or maybe I'm seeing
things that aren't really there, and there's no race after all.
Sometimes I feel like the most phony of amateurs.
Anyway what I think happened is that a change to the alsa library has
done something to trigger a race condition that has been around for a
long time.

Is it possible to test if espeak-ng (https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng) has the same issue?

The upstream version of espeak has not seen activity since 2015-04-16 (1.48.15) and has been very light on improvements to the codebase for a long time.

The espeak-ng codebase includes many Coverity and msvc static analysis fixes. A lot of effort has been made to clean up the codebase to make it consistent and more readable. It is also no longer dependent on wxWidgets, so it can be fully built from an environment that does not have an xserver installed. A full changelog is available at https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md.

Patches are welcome for any issues, or general improvements.

Regards,
Reece H. Dunn

-- Chris