initial kde orca accessibility findings

Earlier today I used firmware debian iso to install a kde system on a hard drive. I also installed gnome-orca and most of gnome-orca's recommended packages with exception of xbrlapi which would have needed an extra install. I rebooted the system and waited after the first login prompt from the screen reader since that would be for the text terminal. Then I logged in with kde and tried running orca. Orca ran once and showed me nothing on the screen. Subsequent reboots and attempts to run orca failed. Next I dropped out of kde login with ctrl-alt-f1 and logged in as that console user. I found out I could kill espeak then run startx and wait and then login kde. This time attempting to run orca was successful and I got orca set up earlier in one of the console sessions by running orca -t but it couldn't connect to the desktop then so I thought it had failed. After running orca in kde I hear kde plasma desktop and then I'm put into a dialog to set the date. I think I can set the date, but will have to read up on how to exit that calendar app and move onto the rest of the system. I haven't managed that yet and figured I'd best write up my initial findings before I forget them. Orca does not start up automatically in kde with startx used to start kde it has to be done each time after login. Also it appears orca and kdm do not play nicely together which is what prompted me to use startx. More than that right now, I do not know and that's my story for now and I'm sticking to it. Any suggestions for things to try now I've got this far will be appreciated and as I have time to try them I'll let you know the results.