Re: Liblouis packaging

Hi Christian,

(I'll answer but I'm no liblouis maintainer.)

Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbs.ch> (2015-09-16):
> I'm one of the upstream maintainers of liblouis. I run a few Debian
> servers in production with liblouis. So far I've always installed
> directly from source, but I'd like to install liblouis as a deb.
> Ideally of course I'd like to use the packages that you guys provide
> but sometimes they are too old (especially since the servers are
> running oldstable, which is not under my control). With that in mind I
> have a few questions:
>
> 1. Can I build my own debs using the source package? Can I build debs
>    for Debian oldstable on an Ubuntu 15.4 machine or do I have to build
>    the debs on the oldstable machine?

The best way to make sure that packages you've built do work fine on
oldstable (notably: they have satisfiable dependencies) is either to
compile them directly on oldstable, or to do so in an oldstable chroot.
Using a chroot should work on any system, including Ubuntu 15.4; to
initiate such a chroot, use debootstrap. There are various tools which
makes it possible to automate dealing with build chroots, like pbuilder,
cowbuilder, and sbuild.

> 2. There appear to be a few (minor) problems with the Debian package
>    (home page, one binary is not copied into the deb, stale watch
>    entries, a patch is no longer needed afaik because I integrated it
>    upstream, etc). Can I clone the repo and send pull requests? What is
>    the standard way of contributing?

Cloning and sending pull requests to this list is a way of contributing,
but the most efficient of reporting bugs/improvements is the Debian bug
tracking system (https://bugs.debian.org) with a bug report per
issue/patch.

> 3. I have plans to eventually use some automake magic to install the
>    Python bindings when configure finds a Python in the upstream
>    package. Is this trouble for the Debian packaging?

It should be quite easy to either disable bindings entirely if they're
not wanted, or to enable them and ship them in a separate binary package
if that's relevant.

Mraw,
KiBi.