Liblouis packaging

Hi all

I'm one of the upstream maintainers of liblouis. I run a few Debian servers in production with liblouis. So far I've always installed directly from source, but I'd like to install liblouis as a deb. Ideally of course I'd like to use the packages that you guys provide but sometimes they are too old (especially since the servers are running oldstable, which is not under my control). With that in mind I have a few questions:

1. Can I build my own debs using the source package? Can I build debs
   for Debian oldstable on an Ubuntu 15.4 machine or do I have to build
   the debs on the oldstable machine?
2. There appear to be a few (minor) problems with the Debian package
   (home page, one binary is not copied into the deb, stale watch
   entries, a patch is no longer needed afaik because I integrated it
   upstream, etc). Can I clone the repo and send pull requests? What is
   the standard way of contributing?
3. I have plans to eventually use some automake magic to install the
   Python bindings when configure finds a Python in the upstream
   package. Is this trouble for the Debian packaging?

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli