Re: Add a package to a liveCD?

MENGUAL Jean-Philippe, le Thu 13 Aug 2015 15:50:05 +0200, a écrit :
> > > b) Including enabling of accessibility in the tasksel seems a problem. First because it implies changing several ones, while the stuff is transversal.
> >
> > The end-of-time goal is that it is transversal. But ATM it is completely
> > useless to enable it on desktop where it will just not work. That's why
> > it is currently not enabled in all tasksels for installed systems.
> > That's the same for liveCDs: there is no point in making the image
> > bigger if it's useless.
>
> Well... the image should not be much bigger.

Installing gnome-orca, atk, qt-at-spi, etc. will make it bigger.

> It does not add anything, it only passes gsettings commands to enable what is needed in the dconf and others.

Actually I'll probably propose at debconf to just always enable these
bits for installed systems too, so that only orca needs to be started.
That just solves the problem.

> For lighdm, it just creates a directory with a small file.

I don't think liveCD uses lightdm. I don't see why it would.

> > > Next because I guess if it is not in desktops such as MATE, it is likely to avoid some issues.
> >
> > It's rather a mere question of unneeded space use. That question is the
> > same with liveCDs. Again, I believe there is nothing more to be done
> > here than for installed systems, because the issues at stake are the
> > same.
>
> I agree. But for installed systems, the accessibility activating happens at the end, here it should be activated at the starting of the session, or be activable manually.

I'm not talking about the activation, but about the installation of
packages.

> we should ship the needed packages (brltty) and disabling them by default, but allowing to enable them if needed.

The same happens on an installed system.  I don't think there is a point
in tinkering liveCD while we'll want to do the same for installed
systems.

> On a public space, the same as on a liveCD could be set anyway.

"On a public space" means "an installed system". There is currently
nothing that turns "an installed system" into "a public space". And
anyway, I'm using the public space example to emphasize it, but the
situation happens just the same if you're going to a friend's place or
whatever place where there is a computer: you may want to access it,
just like sighted users may ("just to check my mail" or whatever).