Re: Describing an application state in ATK, without Gtk

On 2015-06-22 at 14:48, Alejandro Piñeiro wrote:

> So it would be something like a notification with the state of the
> application?

More or less.  But a notification in the sense of libnotify is
transient; what I'm working on is the state of an application, which may
change over time (controlled by keyboard events, already handled in a
non-toolkit application) ; the whole state is currently a single text
label.  I'm not sure if I have to worry about focus, as only one element
is present.  The graphical interface is even fullscreen, so there's
absolutely nothing else to be presented.

> I will try to explain it with the usual client-side terminology (as you
> mention below that it was how it was previously explained to
> you). [...]

Thanks; this matches what I read.  Indeed my code has to work as a server.

> (focusable, providing
> info) ui element on your app, you should ensure that has a proper name,
> role (ie: ATK_ROLE_BUTTON) and state set (ie:
> ATK_STATE_ACTIVE+ATK_STATE_CHECKED, etc).

I'll keep that into account.

> [...] but right now can
> just call the bridge initialization. The method is
> atk_bridge_adaptor_init [1].

I had seen no code doing it.  Thanks.  That might be the solution of all
my problems.

> I hope that my explanation of what "client" and "server" could clarify
> your doubts.

Your answer seems very useful, but I don't see any misconception I had
with respect to servers and clients.  Have I missed something?  I really
would like to understand this better.

> As far as I understand your problem, and as others say,
> linking directly to libatspi would not solve your issue. libatspi is
> intended to be used to write accessibility tools, like Orca.

Therefore for clients.

AT-SPI clients seem very easy to write; I've played with the C programs
in https://github.com/infapi00/at-spi2-examples , which work well and
are very short.  But ATK servers are involved.

> In addition to the small tests at atk, you can find some tests at
> at-spi2-atk/tests. They are still unit tests, but they set all the
> stack. Take a look to see if it is what you need.

Will do.  Thanks again.

--
Luca Saiu
HYPRA -- Progressons ensemble : http://hypra.fr