Re: My experience and some issues with the accessibility of the Jessie/testing desktop

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 02:23 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> am_dxer@fastmail.fm, le Sat 08 Mar 2014 13:59:55 -0500, a écrit :
> > If XFCE does get chosen as the default desktop, I wonder if
> > checking this box could be part of the accessibility profile in the
> > installer for Debian if the desktop task is chosen.
>
> Most probably.
>
> > I know that this can be done on the command line using xfconf.
>
> Could you determine the precise command line and tell us, so we can
> include it in the installer scripts?
The exact command is xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -p
/general/StartAssistiveTechnologies -n -t bool -s true. XFCE stores it
settings in categories called channels and each setting is called a
property. In this command, c specifies the channel, p specifies the
property, -s sets the property, -t specifies the type of the property
and n specifies to create a new property. The property actually is not
created in xfce's configs until the box is checked in the gui (if it
does not exist xfce assumes it is false)  which is why we have to create
it in the command as opposed to just changing its value. One problem I
found with this method, however, is that if trying to run without x
going, the following error is displayed. Failed to init libxfconf:
Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11. One way
to possibly get around this would be to set the property manually in xml
files since this is how xfce stores the settings. they are stored at
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml. The file is called
xfce4-settings and the property is set like this in the general category
in the file.
<property name="StartAssistiveTechnologies" type="bool" value="true"/>