why speech-dispatcher uses pulseaudio?

Hi

I have problems with starting the latest (experimental) speech-dispatcher. It seems that all come down to the audio output setting. With alsa it is ok. With pulseaudio either does not work at all or with an ugly sounding speech. (I use espeak output module). I figured out that even when speechd is forced to use pulseaudio, it still uses alsa for output.

Could be that the whole concept is concentrated around gnome, which I have not fully installed? I mean gnome (my guess) uses pulseaudio and that's why speechd is also set by default to pulseaudio?

So how should speechd be configured by default on Debian? With alsa or with pulse?

Jarek