Debian desktop a11y

Hi,

Given that I focus my work on "basic" users, my problem with Wheezy is that there aren't enough customizations possible for low-visual people (colours, etc.). Moreover, I still have some difficulty to use gnome3, for a11y reasons, but also due to the design itself.

I've just tested MATE and I found it amazing. I'd like to know so:
1. Is it packaged in Debian or should we test only outside repo?
2. Have you tested it on Debian? Have you found a11y issues?
3. Why wouldn't Debian use it as default desktop, given that it is slight and flexible and has few accessibility problems?

I plan to test it on a Debian, according to your answers too. If it works, if I manage to see where can be fixed the a11y issues (Orca guys, MATE guys), I'll try packaging again Compiz because, as WM instead of Marco (default WM in MATE), it works fine and gives good result for magnification.

Any feedback is welcome to know if I'm failing or I can follow the idea.

Regards,