Re: [orca-list] remote desktop accessibility under gnome with orca

Don Raikes <DON.RAIKES@oracle.com> wrote:

> I have a class I am taking over the summer where I will be interacting with
> a variety of remotely hosted systems. The typical scenario for the class is
> that the students access the remote systems via VNC, but VNC on windows at
> least is totally inaccessible, so I was wondering if there is any kind of
> accessible solution from linux/gnome.

If you can do what is necessary on the remote system from the shell, you can
just run ssh.

If it requires interaction with a remote graphical desktop environment, I'm
not aware of any solutions at this point. The DBus messages that AT-SPI and
Orca rely on can't yet be transported from one machine to another, although,
as I recall, the protocol is intended to enable this in the future.

If you use Emacspeak, it can be run remotely as well over ssh.

I would suggest examining carefully the tasks you need to perform on the
remote machines and whether they can be done via ssh.