speakup crashes debian

I am running debian_version: jessie/sid on an amd64 athelon k8 machine and
using speakup and speakup_soft for speech.  I would have used reportbug to
exim4-config and answering all of the questions to get exim4 set up some
problem exists that prevents this machine from sending email.

If I don't have text in the speakup clipboard as a result of any operation
and hit the speakup paste key combination, sometimes that crashes debian
and someimes speakup says paste.  Whenever I have text in the speakup
clipboard as a result of a speakup mark operation followed by a speakup
cut operation and then I hit the speakup paste operation combination of
keys debian crashes.  A debian crash consists of loosing speakup and this
also renders all keyboard command combinations useless.  The only way I
get control restored is to power off the computer with an emergency power
down with the power button on the computer then reboot the machine.  I
have this debian installation up to date and one of those updates was a
speakup update in a kernel that got distributed that caused this problem.
Between the time this installation had been done originally and now,
speakup must have been updated at least once since it didn't do this with
a paste operation just after original installation.  Those on the
linux-speakup list think I'm running wheezy which has this problem when it
has it because its version of speakup in the kernel is not up to date, but
this is not the case.  I don't know if jessie/sid shares that same status
as does wheezy.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>