Re: why speech-dispatcher uses pulseaudio?

W dniu 2014-01-12 11:04, Paul Gevers pisze:
I think there is just something trivial wrong in our latest upload to
experimental. I completely not understand why your compilation from
upstream works and the experimental upload not. There is no differerece.

This regards bug 734392 [1]. I sent more info yesterday, but this time the system did not receive this post. I explained there, that I no longer confirm the difference between the 2 versions. Both work with alsa and do not with pulseaudio. Maybe the difference came from using different configuration files (/etc vs /usr/local/etc). When I am at the other box again, I will resend it.

As for the README.Debian file [2], it answers my question. But I didn't know that this is an important file. Usually I read the documentation from man pages.

=== quote from README.Debian
When Speech Dispatcher is used with direct sound output to ALSA or OSS (on the contrary to using a sound server, e.g. PulseAudio) and your audio device is not set up to allow concurrent access, Speech Dispatcher may block all your audio output. For this reason the default Speech Dispatcher configuration comes with
PulseAudio as the only audio output.
=== end quote

These 2 things together make my bug report invalid. It can be closed now or after my suplemental information arrives to the tracker.

There are still things to do, to make the startup failure more readable to user. I think I will address it upstream. Luke promised (on speechd mailing list) to take care of a potential patch.

Jarek

[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tts/speech-dispatcher.git;a=blob;f=debian/README.Debian;h=dfe5cad6a4286abe0a29711ea0633885a25733cd;hb=HEAD