basic compiler for debian

Hi.  I am wondering if something like glbcc or some kind of gnu basic language interpreter/compiler will be available for debian in the near future.

For some reason, bwbasic does not work, at least not as packaged.  Each time you try to execute a statement such as cls or even print, the program
sends out a request to the shell, apparently, to get it to do something and it just comes back command not found.  I have seen something like glbcc
for liberty basic and there might even be some kind of gnubasic.  I will continue looking for something that works because I want to teach my
girlfriend, who has had some limited experience with basic, how to write code.  I want to start with something she would be familiar with.

When she was in school, she used applesoft and was able to do some work with it, although, at the blind school, they probably didn't show anyone how
to do any practical work with it.  I would like to see her do something interesting with it.

If there is some kind of interpreter in the debian repositories, or if there is any way to get the bwbasic package to actually work, please let me
know.  I don't want her writing correct code, at least as I learned it, and have a program fail with some kind of command not found from the shell.

Thanks.

--
Doug Smith: Special Agent
S.W.A.T  Spiritual Warfare and Advanced Technology