Re: daisy-player support question

Okay, what's going on didn't originally start out with daisy-player.  I
have jessie as part of my sources.list along with wheezy.  Earlier today
I tried using madplay to play a radio station stream.  Madplay responds
that /dev/dsp doesn't exist and aborts.  Figuring with the current
system configuration madplay is a useless program, I had debian delete
it and debian also deleted daisy-player along with madplay since
daisy-player depends on madplay.  I can put daisy-player back on the
system and make sure sox also gets installed if it is now missing but
would have liked to have had madplay play that radio stream.  As things
stand, a recent debian update removed vlc and all of its components so I
was trying different command line alternatives to vlc.  The mpg321
program seems to work for the radio stream but I wanted to compare its
output with that of madplay if I could get that working.

On Sat, 18 May 2013, Paul Gevers wrote:

> Hi Jude,
>
> On 18-05-13 15:04, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > Can madplay be directed to use /dev/audio rather than /dev/dsp?  Reason I
> > ask this is that daisy-player uses madplay and the current kernels for
> > debian did not create /dev/dsp when those were built.  If this cannot be
> > done and a kernel rebuild is necessary to have /dev/dsp created, perhaps
> > filing a bug report against the kernel requesting the dsp device be
> > created on kernel compile would be helpful to other daisy-player users.
>
> Could you explain were things go wrong for you? On my system, I don't
> have /dev/dsp but daisy-player still works. Or is your problem more subtle?
>
> I believe daisy-player does not use madplay to PLAY the sound, it uses
> SOX for that IIAC.
>
> Paul

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
Berners-lee would do.