usb plug and play does not work with versions of installer which include firmware

This is one I thought needed to be filed away for work in future versions of the installer.  I do not know how to file one of those fancy bug reports
that include all that information like apt prefers and all that, but I did two installs on different machines and had the same problem.

What happens is this.  On some machines, including the one I have here trying to get to work for a friend, the networking hardware requires some
non-free firmware to work.  Well, I get that version of the network installer and do the work.

The install goes flawlessly, but, when the machine is rebooted, the usb detection does not work.  If I put in a usb device before starting the
machine, the install of the usb device is detected on machine startup and it works as expected.  If I put in a flash drive or external hard drive, for
instance, after the system is running, there is no detection, and no access to the usb flash drive or hard disk even though it is being powered.

This is only in the version of the installer that has the non-free firmware components in it.  The stock one I installed on here works like a dream.
The only other solution I can see to this is to download the dvd installation set and attempt to install with those.

Hope this helps.

--
Doug Smith: Special Agent
S.W.A.T  Spiritual Warfare and Advanced Technology