Re: Debian Installer 7.0 RC2 release

I tried it on my amd k8 athelon system.  The installation was very smooth,
but that's not all I have to report.  As part of the packages to install,
I chose the desktop environment.  While that environment installed
smoothly, orca setup was not run even though speaking install was used.
This had bad consequences later.  When I came up to boot the system the
last thing I heard on initial speech was gdm3 starting up.  Having no
speech at login, I used control-alt-f1 to get a console and log in.  I
then tried running orca -t to set up orca.  That's when I got a couple
pieces of bad news.  First only dummy speech could be used and the default
though showing as one of the choices didn't speak.  None of the other
possible synthesizers had been enabled or initialized so those couldn't
run.  So I figure choose dummy for speech and do the rest of the setup.  I
do that and get to accessibility settings have been enabled and learned
that orca couldn't be started since it couldn't connect to the desktop.
So I reboot the system and even with dummy selected can't have orca start
up other than by forcing it with control-alt-f1 to log in first.

Could it be possible some future version if speaking install is used and
desktop environment is chosen just before grub installs might the
installer set the display variable and then run orca so it can be set up
by text mode?  That might solve these problems or perhaps run us into new
and different problems.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> Microsoft, windows is accessible. why do
blind people need screen readers?