Working Weezy install media

Hi,

I'm going to be working from someone else' house for the next two weeks. We need to put Linux on a machine there and I thought that perhaps Weezy would be the simplest as it talks without need of external speech.

But I've heard that some recent images et al have been problematic with speakup, due to some issues with kernel parameters or something.

I'm a bit out of theloop. Has this problem been fixed? If not, is there a recent-ish known good working version and are there packages I should avoid updating to avoid breakage?

My main environment will be Speakup/Espeak.

Thanks,
Geoff.