Re: debian 6.0.4 image inaccessible

Thanks for the info about non-read spinning of cdrom drives, a long time
ago when I was going through a win98se reinstall nightmare repeatedly I
managed reinstalls by listening for the spinning of the cd to stop
completely before trying the next step on my braille notes.  It's a
desperate technique, but being totally blind without sighted assistance
and needing to reinstall win98se makes desperate measures necessary.

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Jude DaShiell, le Sat 18 Feb 2012 05:53:03 -0500, a ?crit :
> > When the beep for the boot prompt happens on both machines, the cd or dvd
> > continues to read as I type parameters in.
>
> What do you mean by "read"?  Do you mean the CD still spinning? That
> does not necessarily mean "reading", CD readers usually keep spinning
> for some time after reading, to avoid having to keep stop/restarting all
> the time.
>
> > I don't know if the beep is placed correctly or not.
>
> It is. All keypresses from there (actually, slightly before already) are
> taken into account for the menu.
>
> > I've tried waiting until all disk activity has
> > stopped too to no good effect.
>
> So that's not the problem, but the ltlk driver.
>
> Samuel

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>