RFS: daisy-player (next try, new upstream version)

Dear mentors and accessibility list,

[Sorry for the long mail, but I try to motivate possible sponsors with
full information.]

I am still looking for a reviewer and/or sponsor for my package
"daisy-player" targeted at experimental. Daisy-player is a command-line
player for talking books based on the Digital Accessible Information
System protocol (currently only version 2 is supported). It is
comparable in functionality, features, and ease of use with commercial
players, and has a simple user interface appropriate for Braille
terminals. Upstream agreed to try to also support DAISY version 3 in the
future.

Upstream is actively implementing improvements suggested by me and an
active user of my Private Package Archive, so a new version is
available. For testing purposes, the DAISY Consortium maintains a set of
sample files at [1]. I joined the accessibility team and maintain the
packaging in that teams git repository [links below], but as far as I
can tell possible uploaders there are busy with the upcoming Debian
release, so I ask mentors as well.

Changes with respect to previous upload to mentors and git@alioth:
  * New upstream release
    + Renewed man-page patch and removed deprecated patch for iso9660
    + Updated dependencies
    + Upstream now supports translations
    + Build language files
    + Upstream switch to libncursesw5 for utf-8 support of translations
    + Added patch to really include ncurses from libncursesw5
    + Updated copyright file (year and info)
  * Improved debian/daisy-player.desktop with German translation

* Package name    : daisy-player
  Version         : 5.5.0-1
  Upstream Author : Jos Lemmens <jos@jlemmens.nl>
* URL             : http://web.inter.nl.net/users/lemmensj/
* License         : GPL-2
                    (actually, the program is GPL-2+, but it's icon is
                    only GPL-2)
  Section         : sound

It builds these binary packages:
daisy-player - player for DAISY Digital Talking Books
daisy-player-dbg - daisy-player debugging symbols

The upload would fix these bugs: 595292 (ITP)

My motivation for maintaining this package is that I got touched by a
question from Dirk Schouten on the Dutch debian users e-mail list on how
he should build a daisy player (player for audio books) for Linux as his
eyesight was waning. Together with some more people on that list we
figured out that most projects available seemed abandoned. But we found
daisy-player, which is programmed by blind Jos Lemmens, and it actually
works pretty well. Together with Jos and Dirk we improved the package to
get it in shape for Debian, because there were some choices made which
were not suitable for Debian at the beginning. I think we are finally
there. My packaging is already included in Vinux (a Ubuntu derivative
for visually impaired users) and the maintainers of Knoppix are also
interested.

Known issues (comments welcome):
- I have asked upstream to add license and copyright notices to the
translation files.
- I have asked upstream to move the .daisy-player.rc file to the already
existing .daisy-player directory.
- Upstream ships the icons in a zipped tar file. Should I ask him to
ship them directly (in a sub-directory for instance) or is unzipping at
build time also fine?
- Get an agreement with upstream on the description of daisy-player in
the desktop and manual file.

The package can be found on mentors.debian.net and on Alioth:
-Mentors:
main contrib non-free
  - dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/daisy-player/daisy-player_5.5.0-1.dsc
- GIT:
  - git://git.debian.org/pkg-a11y/daisy-player.git
  - git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-a11y/daisy-player.git
  - https://alioth.debian.org/anonscm/git/pkg-a11y/daisy-player.git

Kind regards
 Paul Gevers

[1] http://www.daisy.org/samples