help creating a stand alone firefox session.

Hi.  The latest gnome 3 upgrades in Sid have broken my major reason for running gnome.
My default application launched when I right click a link in the gnome terminal has been
changed to gnome web browzer from firefox.  Unfortunately, I can't find a way to
change it back.  Could someone who launches a firefox session from the console
without starting gnome please point me to instructions to do the same?
I've been a supporter of gnome for years, but the downgrade in accessibility has finally forced me to give up.
As long as I can find a way to still use firefox, console access with speakup  will be enough for me.

          Kenny