Re: RFS: sonic

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to admit I haven't figured out how to distribute ChangeLog
> properly.  My google-fu is failing me.  I'd like to get rid of the
> override.  Also, like some other projects, like speech-dispatcher, I'm
> keeping the log in git, and ChangeLog is just a dummy file to make
> autotools happy.  It doesn't really add any value to distribute it,
> but it makes 'lintian --pedantic' happy.  What's the right thing to do
> in this case?

Shipping an empty changelog file is useless. Either ship a useful
changelog in the upstream tarball or don't ship a less than useful
changelog in the Debian binary package. lintian is only informational
(especially at pedantic level), ignore its warnings if they are not
useful.

For upstream projects I personally use git2cl or similar at `make
distcheck` time to generate a useful ChangeLog for inclusion in the
upstream tarball.

--
bye,
pabs