Re: RFS: sonic

Thanks, this is great.  I've uploaded a new version of the package to
debian-mentors which includes changes based on your feedback.
Comments below.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Bill Cox, le Thu 14 Apr 2011 15:52:55 -0400, a écrit :
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "sonic".
>
> Err, didn't you see my comments on your package back in january? Here
> they are again:
>
>> - I'm afraid the samples/ directory should be dropped from the .orig
>>   tarball: as I understand it, they were produced at least by some
>>   proprietary synthesizers (eloquence and voxin), so their distribution
>>   is probably unsure.  Since you do not install them in the .deb
>>   packages, it's probably better to not even ship them in .orig.tar and
>>   see ftpmaster frown their eyes on them.
>> - The same question may hold on doc/*.flac: how were they produced?

Done.  All Eloquence and voxin files have been removed.  All .flac
files have been moved to samples, and are verified to be in the public
domain, and documented as such in the doc/README file.

>> - Why do you build with -pthread?

The -pthread is a bit scary... without it, malloc is not thread safe
(at least on some versions of Linux).  One TTS engine using libsonic
was crashing because it was multi-threaded.  The -pthread flag fixed
it.  A confusing discussion on the topic is here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/855763/malloc-thread-safe

>> - Please drop the empty line at the end of debian/libsonic0.symbols,
>>   dh_makeshlibs warns out.

Done.

>> - The resulting binary gets called libsonic.so.0.1.10, shouldn't that be
>>   0.1.13?

The Makefile is now automatically modified to be in sync with the
version number, in the mkorig script.

>> - You could perhaps ship main.c in libsonic-dev in
>>   /usr/share/doc/libsonic-dev, for documentation purpose.

Done.

Bill