Help about multilib

Hi,

As many people know I use voxin, package for IBM synthetiser. I try to
make it speak with speakup without speech-dispatcher. I've just found
the connector written some years ago. But I use a Debian lenny 64bits.
Even if it's multilib (anyway voxin installed 32bits libs), building the
connector says:
gcc -ggdb -I/opt/IBM/ibmtts/inc -lasound -libmeci ttsynth.c -o
spk-connect-ttsynth In file included from
ttsynth.c:9: /opt/IBM/ibmtts/inc/eci.h:366: warning: useless storage
class specifier in empty declaration /usr/bin/ld: skipping
incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/libibmeci.so when searching for -libmeci /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libibmeci.so when searching for -libmeci /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../libibmeci.so when searching for -libmeci /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libibmeci.so when searching for -libmeci /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libibmeci.so when searching for -libmeci /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libibmeci.so when searching for -libmeci /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -libmeci collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: Makefile ttsynth.c [spk-connect-ttsynth] Erreur 1

So 2 questions: can the C code (a 345 lines file) be changed to build
against 64bits system? What does Debian provide to build a package in
such circumstances (without necessarily doing a Deb package)? I imagine
a cross-compile solution but I have no idea to do this on Debian.
Anyway, voxin, 32bits, works on Debian 64bits multilib.

Thanks for your help. I'm ready to follow with private messages not to
pollute the mailing list, because it could be long as I don't program at
all. I can send you the source too. Thanks those who will have the
patience to help me about this and, sorry, espeak, really I can't in
daily usage.

Best regards,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL